Feb 8, 2013

1st Post...43rd Birthday...and so it starts publically!

Well here I am turning 43 this morning and all is well.  Although this isn't my 1st day of my paramotoring adventure it is the 1st blog.

Let me begin by introducing you to my sport to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramotoring

In layman terms:

Paramotoring (or powered paragliding) is a paragliding wing, under which a harness is hung.  A two cycle engine coupled to a propeller is attached to that harness.  You then strap yourself into the harness securely and you are set.  The propeller provides thrust and forward momentum and the wing provides the lift.  No mountains or hills required.  Flat and or down hill land is better and a head wind doesn't hurt either.

How did I ever the idea of getting into this aviation sport, you ask?  Well long story...short. 

In late summer of 2012, I had my motorcycle up for sale, a 1997 Kawasaki Concours.  Mint and full of life left in her at 56,000 kilometers.  I barely used it anymore so I decided to sell it on the the "For Sale" website Kijiji  http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/.  I received lots of bites and one of them came from a gentleman that wanted to offer me his powered parachute trike in exchange.  Not knowing much about the sport I did some homework that night and searched the internet.  Amazing thing this internet, thousands of hits.  Websites from all over Europe and the USA.  Not much from Canada, but some.  What really got me reved were the videos.  My favorite 1st video was this one:  PARABATIX,  I love the song too!

I found a Youtube video made by Alain Bard from Ottawa video. Wow was he knowledgeable.  He's a paramotor pilot, paraglider pilot, hot air balloon pilot (built his own), skydiver and stilt walker Alain's Website.  He basically said the unit was homemade, 20 years behind the times in all aspects and to stay very clear of it. I met him a couple weeks later in his garage and he introduced me to his paramotor kit.  Awesome....

My father was into ultralight flight in the early '90's.  He took a course, attended an ultralight pilot's course and passed the Transport Canada exam.  He bought an ultralight airplane used it plenty and later sold it.  He ended up building an airplane from a kit with plans ordered from the USA.  So suffice it to say that the aeronautical gene is in the Morais' blood!  Now I am about to embark on a less expensive version and don't need a runway to take off from.  A modest field is all I will need.


3 comments:

  1. Good for you .Can't wait to read more and see more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job!!!
    Can you help me find instructor?
    Thanks,
    Rumen
    nikolov.rumen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete